Senior Licensing Manager, Tech Launch Arizona Tech Transfer A
TitleSenior Licensing Manager, Tech Launch Arizona
DepartmentTech Transfer Arizona (9009)
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***.s (UA) Tech Launch Arizona (TLA), working with **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. Health Sciences (UAHS), is seeking a self-motivated, outgoing individual with a scientific degree and experience in technology transfer and demonstrated ability to work independently for a Senior Licensing Manager (LM) position. This position will work primarily with UAHS faculty and reports to the Director of Licensing.
TLA is **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. unit with the primary mission of ensuring greater cohesion among University researchers, the business community, and organizations supporting technology commercialization to significantly enhance the impact of UA research and creative endeavors. TLA represents a prioritization and resource enhancement of the Universitys technology commercialization efforts. The UAHS LM, working directly with faculty, staff, and students, will help to significantly expand the UA portfolio of UAHS intellectual property and realize the impact associated with important inventions and discoveries.
Federal regulations require that the incumbent be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident to be ITAR/EAR compliant.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. has been listed by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers in the United States and WorldatWork and the Arizona Department of Health Services have recognized us for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. and relocation services, please .
Duties & Responsibilities
- Familiarize the faculty, staff, and students with technology transfer in terms of purpose, intellectual property, process, and value of commercialization to the College, inventors, community, and Arizona;
- Understand the research activities across the colleges within UAHS (College of Medicine Tucson and Phoenix, Pharmacy, Public Health and Nursing) and the potential of that research for intellectual property (IP) protection and impact through commercialization;
- Foster relationships with UAHS faculty to make them aware of commercial potential for their research, both present and future;
- Work independently to guide inventors through invention disclosures, NDAs, conflict of interest considerations associated with startups, and other interactions with TLA, including meaningful prior art searches and results;
- Work with inventors to determine technology milestones, timelines for moving technology into a commercial product, and appropriate IP strategies, and help to assess and prioritize inventions for TLAs Asset Development funding;
- Work with TLA marketing and business intelligence teams to identify potential licensees and contacts within those companies;
- Work with researchers, TLA Intellectual Property Manager and team, and outside patent counsel to manage patent prosecution and other protection of inventions;
- Negotiate various agreements, including licenses or options for intellectual property rights, and manage ongoing relationships with licensees; Participate in outreach events to promote TLA, UAHS, and licensing opportunities;
- Senior Licensing Managers are expected to carry a larger caseload, perform their duties with minimal supervision, and act as a mentor to newer members of the licensing staff;
- Additional duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Graduation from an accredited college or university, with major studies in the biological sciences, or other science related field;
- General knowledge of intellectual property law, intellectual property evaluation, and contracts, especially as pertains to a university setting; Experience working collaboratively with researchers or technical staff in intellectual property matters;
- Experience as a team player who seeks, and uses effectively, instruction and advice from professional colleagues;
- Strong business ethics and service orientation; Superior communication skills, both oral and written;
- Multi-faceted negotiation skills with the ability to express complex ideas and positions clearly and succinctly; and
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, peers, academics, and other professionals, including external agencies, with varied interests and perspectives.
- Must be a U.S Citizen or have green card immigration status
- Masters degree or equivalent in a related field; Experience in the chemical industry;
- At least two years technology licensing, business development, contract negotiation, or commercial assessment experience, including the development, preparation, review, or execution of a wide range of business contracts;
- Working knowledge of intellectual property, specifically patents.
Full Time/Part TimeFull Time
Number of Hours Worked per WeekM-F 8AM-5PM
Job CategoryAdministrative and Professional
Benefits EligibleYes - Full Benefits
Posted Rate of PayDOE
Type of criminal background check required:Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Posting Detail Information
Number of VacanciesOne
Desired Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Limited to Current UA EmployeesNo
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until FilledYes
Review Begins On06/15/2018
Special Instructions to Applicant
At **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***., we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. We translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we encourage diverse candidates to apply, including people of color, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.
Quick Link for Internal Postings
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.