Legal eStaffing, Inc.
IP DOCKET SPECIALIST
Large, DC-based global law firm has an immediate need for an IP Docket Specialist.
The IP Docket Specialist provides electronic-based, timely, detailed, and accurate docketing support to the IP attorneys and staff. The Specialist accurately maintains the docket records according to established policies and procedures, performs all functions relating to review of documents, and exercises discretion and confidentiality in maintaining contact with clients, attorneys and staff.
• Reads, dockets, and distributes incoming mail from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office “USPTO”, direct clients, and all other foreign government agencies and/or foreign associates, using electronic procedures.
• Opens new matters, including identifying matter-type for rule sets, enters key bibliographic information with perfect accuracy (e.g. priority application information, inventor names, assignee names), and coordinates with the Conflicts department to activate matters and client numbers, as necessary.
• Scans legal documents and saves to firm’s electronic document management system.
• Confirms the accuracy of abandonment instructions and handles formal abandonment procedures in the docketing system for matter files.
• Runs complex queries, generates and formats Excel reports for internal and external clients, and conducts internet research to obtain case information and perform status checks.
• Proofreads the work of others related to the docketing of routine correspondence (e.g. USPTO mail, client mail, and new matter requests.)
• Works as part of a team to identify, collectively distribute, and effectively complete all work received by the docket department each day.
• Maintains positive contact with attorneys, staff and clients, and observes confidentiality of Docket Department and/or firm matters.
• Understands and is able to explain docketing policies, procedures, and risk management measures as they relate to USPTO requirements and as communicated by foreign agents relating to other Intellectual Property governing entities.
• Identifies the critical dates and key information in less commonly docketed documents and effectively protects the clients and the firm from docketing risks, even when there is no defined docketing departmental protocol.
• Performs other tasks or duties as assigned by the IP management team.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing with clients, attorneys, and other support staff.
• Demonstrated ability to follow written and oral instructions.
• Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements, while maintaining an extremely high-level of accuracy.
• Ability to provide quality client service to both internal and external contacts.
• Must possess a thorough command of the English language, including excellent spelling, grammar and punctuation.
• Ability to apply technical knowledge or guidance, analyze and interpret data from several sources, solve problems by applying precedent or extrapolating from previous experience.
• Intermediate knowledge of MS suite, particularly related to the use of Outlook features and Excel formatting.
• Technical proficiency in IP Manager or other complicated web-based docketing system (e.g. Inprotech) preferred but not required.
• Demonstrated knowledge of basic math concepts and the ability to perform simple math functions quickly and accurately.
• Willingness to work overtime as necessary and some flexibility in work schedule as required by workload.
• Ability to safely lift, move and carry boxes without assistance, weighing up to 50 lbs.
This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field. Equivalent training and legal experience may substitute for education.
The position requires a minimum of one (1) year of docketing experience during which knowledge, skills and abilities relevant to the position were attained.
Firm offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service. Metro accessible location.
Legal eStaffing, Inc.
Phone : 202-319-1500
Website : http://www.legalestaffing.com/